Friday, May 1, 2015

A Small Gift

Today is a half day,  God’s small, yet miraculous, gift to the world of education. There is an energy in the air and everyone, willing or not, becomes a part of it. The hall ways are a blur of color and noise as students pass each other with smiles and upbeat...though wildly inappropriate greetings on the way to classes that.. for the most part.. are an extension of the hallway. Teach in 20 minutes? HA there is the joke of the day.

During class, I had the opportunity to read my students “10 year letter" assignment.

I laughed. I laughed out loud during most of them.
 “I met David Beckham and we have been married ever since.”
 There is nothing in the world like a high school student’s imagination. After highschool, most people, and situations, become predicable. Work is the same, family is the same, the stories are the same. Not in highschool. I have a student (Ryan)  who sits in the corner, usually without a word. Puts his head phones in (90’s alternative music no doubt), glasses on, eyes focused on the screen.. very down to earth. His letter tells another tale—in 10 years.. he has become a spy, a quadruple agent that has traveled the county for years carrying out top secret missions and.. very politely,he asked if I could watch his dogs while he was saving the world.

The randomness makes my day.



No comments:

Post a Comment